When you think of Goa, you think of booze, beach and bizarre parties! However, this time, I discovered a completely different side of North Goa – a quieter, soulful and rejuvenating space by the Mandovi River on Divar Island, called Devaaya Wellness resort. Reaching the wellness resort was an exploratory journey as well.
Reaching Devaaya Wellness Resort, Goa
From Goa airport, I drove past the enchanting ship dockets and monsoon drenched green view of the countryside to reach boarding point of Divar island. The car parked itself on a huge blue boat that was cramped with all sorts of vehicles, kids in uniform and even cattles. 15 minutes of gliding on water and we docked on the other side, and it is from here that a new and hidden Goa revealed itself.
Narrow and meandering single road had picturesque view on both sides – paddy fields, boys catching fish using a local hook, Old Churches, brightly coloured Portuguese style houses, simple village folks enjoying mundane tasks and gorgeous green for as far as I could see. Another 30 minute of such a beautiful drive and I reached the gate of Devaaya resort hidden amidst trees.
A warm welcome and I was showed my luxury suite and provided guidelines on what to expect – morning yoga, food to be served in dining room at pre-decided time, Ayurveda consultation followed by treatment sessions, evening meditation and limited wi-fi. I knew instantly, I am at the right place. Urban detox, exactly what I needed.
The suite was nothing less than a royal stay. Design of villa was minimal with doors and windows opening to majestic river view, beautiful flower laden shrubs dancing to tunes of wind, little birds roaming around, humming of crickets (jhingur) along with raindrops creating perfect music. This concoction was intoxicating to another level. The room was decorated carefully with fresh flowers. I just sat quietly absorbing.
Dinner was served at a half open restaurant with swimming pool view. Simple, vegetarian and principles of Ayurveda induced food and, meaningful conversations with complete strangers further calmed the senses.
A Day At Devaaya Wellness Resort
Next morning, the day began at 6:30 am with kriya session conducted in hut styled rooms, followed by yoga session in a huge and open yogshala. The gentle morning breeze, earthy smell, chirping of birds and sun rays playing hide and seek amidst trees. Needless to say, I was awake and conscious.
Post sumptuous breakfast consisting food that appeals palate of both Asian and Western guests (for 50% guests were from western countries, especially Estonia & Russia); I was asked to meet the Ayurveda doctor, Dr Swathi. She was extremely patient and listened to all my health rants. I don’t know what happened to me; I was so comfortable with her and could talk easily about all my issues. Kudos for such an empathizing doctor!
Treatment rooms were another treat in this royal sojourn of rediscovering one’s inner self. Opening into balcony, soft sun rays gentle caressing, tree leaves making a rustling whisper every time wind touches them, and a mynah crooning at a distant. The room was beautifully decorated with fresh flowers. Experienced masseur slowly broke away all the tensions and deep rooted pains with potli massage. Over the course of stay, I experienced Akshi tarpanam to relax my eyes, potli massage and Abhyanga (body massage), kati vasti for lower back and shirodhara to cool off my most active part –HEAD.
Activities like cooking class and yoga & dance show were enjoyable attractions. And, I learnt to hook a fish in running water too J
Things I Love The Most About Devaaya
- Simply mesmerizing landscape – Care has been taken that everything is designed for a reason and helps you calm down.
- Panchakarma Treatment – Surrender yourself for 7 to 14 days with them and come out a completely new human being. One of the guests who also became a good friend shared how she had come after a bad phase of her life and she could feel the difference not only in her physical self but more importantly the mental state. When I asked if she plans to go and explore Goa, she declined for she was just happy to be in this introspective & reflective environment.
- Food– Frankly, for the first 2 days you will experience some craving and miss especially of you are a chatora like me! However, the interesting thing was how my body (especially stomach) in this environment loved the simple food and started doing a happy dance, “That’s the right way baby”
- Staff – Humble, helping and simple people. Everyone you meet had a peaceful look and a infectious smile. Staff plays an important role unlike any other luxury resort for here guests undergo healing and Ayurveda treatments thereby need special care and attention. I overhead a friendly conversation between a staff and a guest when the guest was requesting a coffee ( she is form Estonia and had never had days pass by without coffee) and the staff member was sweetly cajoling and motivating her towards healthy food.
5. No Wi-fi – Isn’t that the best thing ever? Makes for complete detox. Set amidst Nature, you tune out and limited wi- fi connectivity goes in a long way towards digital detox.
Devaaya wellness resort is an ideal amalgamation of luxury & natural healthcare. Those three days of stay prepared me for the next six months of urban madness. I think our body and mind deserves this healing environment owing to our lifestyle where we put a lot of test and scars on them. And, I am not just talking towards body but mind also. The stay gave me good time and frame to introspect about my priorities, clear some mess and breathe fresh.
Think about it. Take a break.
Inspired Enough To Check Out This Amazing Wellness Resort in Goa
P.S: This was an invited trip to Devaaya Wellness resort. As usual, the views are my own, Gita ki kasam🙂